The World Born Dead
Lizardfolk dwell in the swamps of the Blackfens in the South. A lizardfolk is usually 6 to 7 feet tall with green, gray, or brown scales. Its tail is used for balance and is 3 to 4 feet long. A lizardfolk can weigh from 200 to 250 pounds. Prominent lizardfolk tribes include the Ashtail, Bloodscale, the Makata Suul, the Mudswimmers, and the Poison Dusk tribes. Most of these tribes tend to travel and hunt nomadically in small bands of no more than ten individuals.
They tend to carry stone tools and weapons and tend to wear no armor, relying instead on their scaly hides for protection. Lizardfolk fight as unorganized individuals. They prefer frontal assaults and massed rushes, sometimes trying to force foes into the water, where the lizardfolk have an advantage. Lizardfolk favor stone and glass tipped spears and javelins. If outnumbered or if their territory is being invaded, they set snares, plan ambushes, and make raids to hinder enemy supplies. Lizardfolk leaders are most often druids or dragonshaman (see PHB2). The lizardfolk tribes of the Blackfens are known for bartering captives taken in raids, even other lizardfolk, to Nerathi slave traders for sale in the Nerathi Empire, where lizardfolk are popular as gladiators in the bloodsports. Lizardfolk prize metal weapons and tools as they lack the knowledge, resources, and skill to fashion metal items of their own.
Lizardfolk names: Gussh, Hiss, Hazorduss, Ssena, Solasstas, and Vasculuss,
Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
- Medium size.
- A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A lizardfolk begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +0.
- Racial Skills: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, and Swim. Lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
- Racial Feats: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it one feat. Lizardfolk qualify for the Scent [Monstrous] feat.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
- Weapon Familiarity: A lizardfolk can treat a net as a simple weapon.
- +5 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
- Special Qualities: Hold breath. A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Common, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
- Favored Class: Druid.
- Level adjustment +1.
A first level lizardfolk is the equivalent of the 4th level character.
Some lizardfolk are more vulnerable to cold than others. Cold descriptor spells deal double damage to these lizardfolk and slow them until they succeed on a DC (15 + the spell level) Fortitude save which they can attempt once per round as a move action. These lizardfolk have no level adjustment and a first level one is the equivalent of a 3rd level character.