The World Born Dead
Racial Traits: these statistics over rule those presented in Races of the Dragon. While the rite of rebirth may or may not exist on this world, Dragonborn have been breeding true for thousands of years. The dragonborn ruled the Empire of Arkhosia which soared above the clouds in shining crystal citadels that grew from enchanted flying mountain peaks. The empire was ruled by a line of Dragon Emperors, until a war with the devilish Turathi devastated both great civilizations. Many of the flying citadels were dispelled and crashed to the ground, their psionic power as broken as their crystal towers. Of the few that remain, most are cursed and haunted by bound Turathi devils unable to break the pacts that bind them into the service of the forgotten Turathi war effort.
The dragonborn were masters of mindshaping, and often altered the memories and personalities of mighty dragons to serve their purposes. They also grew psionic augmentation crystals to empower their armor, weapons, and even their scaly flesh.
- +2 Strength or +2 Charisma, and -2 Dexterity: Dragonborn can be strong or compelling but are seldom as agile as the other races of Nerathi Empire.
- Medium sized: As a medium sized creature a dragonborn has a speed of 30 feet and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Humanoid (dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype.
- +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the evil outsider type. The dragonborn have an innate sense of how best to defend themselves against their ancient enemies.
- Immunity to Frightful Presence: Dragonborn are immune to the frightful presence ability of dragons, just as if they were dragons.
- Gifts of Io: Dragonborn were created by Io, the progenitor of the gods Bahamut and Tiamat. Each dragonborn hatchling manifests one of the gifts of dragonkind when it reaches adulthood.
- Hibernation Trance (Su): A dragonborn can spend 1 power point and 4 hours to enter into a hibernation trance with a successful DC 15 Autohypnosis check. While in the trance, the dragonborn can sustain her body without need of food or water for 24 hours. Every 24 hours the dragonborn must spend 1 power point in order to sustain the trance. A hibernating the dragonborn ages at one tenth the normal rate.
- Naturally Psionic: Dragonborn gain 1 bonus power point at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
Gifts of Io:
Heart (Su): A dragonborn who chooses heart as her Gift of Io gains a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a bright, shining line that coruscates with every metallic color. The line’s length is 5 feet per Hit Die the dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragonborn possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing each time the dragonborn emerges from a hibernation trance. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn’s HD + her Con modifier) halves the damage. A dragonborn can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.
Mind (Ex): A dragonborn who selects the mind aspect sharpens her senses, gaining immunity to paralysis and magic sleep effects. She gains darkvision out to 30 feet, low-light vision, and gains 1 bonus power point plus a +2 racial bonus on Autohypnosis, Listen, and Spot checks.
- At 6 HD, the dragonborn’s darkvision extends to 60 feet. The dragonborn gains 1 additional bonus power point.
- At 9 HD, the dragonborn’s darkvision extends to 90 feet, and her low-light vision allows her to see three times as far as a human in shadowy illumination. The dragonborn gains 1 additional bonus power point.
- At 12 HD, the dragonborn’s darkvision extends to 120 feet, and her low-light vision allows her to see four times as far as a human in shadowy illumination. The dragonborn gains 1 additional bonus power point.
- At 15 HD, the dragonborn gains blindsense out to 30 feet. The dragonborn can increase the range of her blindsense by 5 feet per power point spent, the increase lasts 1 round. The dragonborn gains 1 additional bonus power point.
Wings (Ex): A dragonborn who selects the wings aspect grows fully formed wings. Dragonborn can use these wings to aid their jumps (granting a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks) and to glide. Those with 6 HD or more can use their wings to fl y.
- Gliding: A dragonborn can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Dragonborn glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Dragonborn can expend their psionic focus to increase their gliding speed by 30 feet for a number of rounds equal to half her constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). Even if a dragonborn’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A dragonborn can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a dragonborn becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. The dragonborn descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall.
- Flight: When a dragonborn who selected the wings aspect reaches 6 HD, she gains a fly speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. A dragonborn can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. A dragonborn can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to her Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). She can double this length of flight but is fatigued by such exertion unless she expends her psionic focus. The dragonborn is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because a dragonborn can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, she can remain aloft for extended periods, even if she can only use flight for 1 round at a time without expending her psionic focus or becoming fatigued.
- When she reaches 12 HD, a dragonborn has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. She can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability) with no more exertion than walking or running. A dragonborn with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the dragonborn must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A dragonborn can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon. If the dive attack hits, it deals double damage. A dragonborn with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Favored of Bahamat or Tiamat. When determining whether a multiclass dragonborn takes an experience point penalty, her class levels in Favored do not count.